Autumn makes me happy

Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm thinking of scouring You Tube for unbelievable commercials from my child hood.
When I watch something like this, I realize just how different the world I live in now is from the world that I grew up in.
Everything was not better in the old days.. no matter what they say! Just different.
Mandi and I were talking about some of the changes earlier in the day. We were discussing my mother , who as a young wife in the early 50s, had three babies in the first three years of her marriage. She was, needless to say, a housewife.
Three babies... no Pampers. Cloth diapers. Wringer washer on the back porch. No clothes dryer. A clothes line in the back yard. and funny little arrangements made from what looked like wooden dowels, to set around the house and dry clothes on if the weather was inclement.
No microwave ovens. Barely any "ready to eat" type foods. Campbells Soups a few other things I suppose.
No children's programming on television ( which I assure you would have been totally discouraged by my father anyway!) to entertain the kiddies so she could grab a moments peace.
and she was just the average housewife.... amazing
No wonder she got a job outside the home when all us kids were in school!
Anyway, I've spent much of the day thinking about some of the many changes in our culture just in my lifetime ... . Like a great snowball rolling down hill, picking up speed at an astronomical pace..
so weird..

3 comments:

Mandi said...

That wasn't so long ago... how amazing the way our world has changed. Wonder what it'll be like in 2025?

Mary said...

In the year 2525... if man is still alive...
I hear a song here!

Julie said...

I remember the wringer washer! Clothes lines in the backyard are still the norm here - and are used. Saves electricity for one thing.
I was 13 before we had a TV in the house - the radio was it. Probably why I learned to listen, not just hear.
I remember that song too :)

There was a TV show last year - "Life on Mars", a British cop show - where the main guy was flung back to 1973. It was an excellent way to show how things have changed. Not just the clothes and music but the technology and attitudes as well. Worth a look if you ever come across it.