Autumn makes me happy

Friday, July 4, 2008

On This Day....A Bit Of Kansas Trivia...Happy Independance Day!

On this day,in 1804 Lewis and Clark celebrated the 4th of July at what is now Atchison,Kansas. Their celebration included the naming of two creeks. The Fourth of July Creek and Independence Creek; firing the cannons off their boats at dawn and dusk and extra rations of whiskey. I believe we Kansans have been celebrating similarly for the ensuing 204 years! Well, except the creek naming part.
I totally love 4th of July celebrations. I love fireworks,greasy food,homemade ice cream and of course beer. Everything consumed on disposable "tableware" so there aren't dishes to wash.Majestic orchestra music played on the radio all day. The smell of gun powder and punks. Awesome! PLUS, no gift giving stress! It just doesn't get any better than that in terms of holiday celebrations. WooHoo!


On a slightly different note. What the hell is wrong with Americans today? I've been thinking about our country and the folks that populate it this morning and I almost can not believe that we are the same peoples that dumped tea in a harbor because we were pissed about oppressive taxation and a controlling government.
I wonder what the Boston Tea Partiers would think today of Americans pulling their GINORMOUS vehicles into the gas station and filling them up with with $4/gal fuel then whipping out their credit cards to pay for the whole mess.
Holy hell!
The popular thing to say is "In Canada, Europe,wherever, they pay even more than we do. We're so lucky."
Bah!
We didn't give a crap what the British were paying in taxes when we filled a harbor with tea,why do we give a crap what other countries are paying for gas?
Oh, I think we all know why. It boils down to our creature comforts. We aren't willing to give those up, now are we. After all, all the other soccer moms have big vans with dvd players in them. Poor Johnny might be made fun of at school if his Mom drove an economical vehicle and poor Johnny had to just sit in his seat and play license plate bingo instead of watching Shrek. God forbid any child should have a few minutes to actually just think and relax. They might realize that their childhood is being directed and run by ADULTS! Call a therapist ! Quick! Their autonomous feelings are being threatened!
Don't even let me get started on the Commuting insanity. I know, I know,it's very important to live miles and miles from where you work. It's a good enough place to hang out for 8 to 10 hours a day, but I wouldn't want to live there. The locals are so, well , poor and needy. Lets move to a "bedroom community" 50 or so miles away where Johnny and my soccer mom wife will have the life they deserve. I'm sure we have enough credit cards to pay for it all, and we can always transfer the balances if the pressure gets to be too much. We won't be like our parents and have cocktails every night to help us cope, (never trust anyone over 30. remember?). Instead,lets take anti-depressants and buy every pop-culture self help book on the market! That'll be better! Oh! Don't forget to give Johnny his ADHD medicine! Hey, while you're in the medicine cabinet, grab me some Prilosec. I got heart burn you wouldn't believe. Might have been that double Whopper I ate for lunch. I'm not sure...

Well, somewhere along the line, I have become completely disgusted with the excessiveness in our country. It's gross. And it's been a wonderful manipulative tool for the powers that be to swing things the way they want them to go. And yep, I'm a true "Conspiracy Theorist". Maybe our world is not quite The Matrix but it's right on track with that.
What if Rosa Parks had moved out of her seat? Rosa Parks had balls of steel and that's exactly what people need today. The guts to say Enough Already! Find me a damn harbor! I've got some tea to dump!


Happy Independence Day!
God Bless America!
She's a mess,but I love her!








2 comments:

mrykly@mac.com said...

just found u r blog and one of u r daughters pictures on flickr
liked reading your blog
Are you the person who commented on the dave anderson on parks seed page?
just being nosy on that one
thanks for all your comments will be reading your blog again
another mary
mryklyuksyv

Mary said...

Yep, that was me Mary. Still missin the old fart!