Autumn makes me happy

Monday, December 8, 2008

A Girl and Her Contrabass

DSC09853


Last night I went to the annual Christmas Vespers Concert by the Washburn University music department. This student and her bass totally captured my attention.
She was so completely at ease with this enormous instrument cradled in her arms, and when she wasn't playing a piece, she sat there with her arms draped around it so casually.
I tried to figure what her image reminded me of. What kind of relationship.
A lover? No.
A child? no.

I think what she and her instrument reminded me of was someone with a beloved pet.
Like horse people are you know? The way they seem more themselves when they are with horses. Like there is some kind of connection between the human and the horse.
The same seemed true with this student and her bass. They were connected. Like she was more herself with her instrument than with out it.

I wish that I could have spoken with her.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Lovely photograph. Beautiful words.