Autumn makes me happy

Monday, November 17, 2008

tofu?

So... today I have attempted to alter my Mom's yum-a-licious potato salad recipe by injecting tofu into the mix. Yup, bean curd. That stuff that has almost zero flavor and really is just all about texture and whatever other flavors you happen to mingle with it.


See, Richard has been hankering for potato salad. I actually do make a fair duplicate of Mom's , complete with 6 or 8 eggs, a couple cups of full on fat Miracle Whip and oh yes, some potatoes.

I decided to see if I could alter the recipe and still maintain the flavor. Cuz see, both of us recently had our physicals and while our cholesterol levels would make outstanding bowling scores, they simply caused our Dr. to shake his head and say " I don't know what you people eat but...."
( see previous post of Julie's Carbonara! Yum!)
Clearly it was time for a change. We've done really well actually. We don't do the NO fat foods, we've opted for lower fat and moderation. It seems more do-able. Richard actually lost five pounds the first four days of our new lifestyle. The bum.
Well, in any event, today I made the potato salad with TWO eggs and maybe 2 tablespoons of Miracle Whip in the dressing. I used tofu in it's stead. Lots of onion and celery and maybe a few more sweet pickles. Hoping that the extra flavors will meld nicely with the tofu and make a passable salad.

We'll be eating it tonight, so I'll update this post later!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Update:
The potato salad was passable. It's still a texture thing with the tofu. Next try I'll use more onion yet and more sweet pickles too.

Julie said...

Bummer about the cholestorol. Tofu in a potato salad? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one.