Autumn makes me happy

Monday, November 17, 2008

Ceilings... glass or otherwise..

I've been thinking a lot lately about the Sarah Pallin / Hillary Clinton / glass ceiling thing and I think that Sarah and Hillary have more in common than anyone ( even Saturday Night Live) would care to admit.
I keep going back in my mind to the primaries when Hillary kept claiming to have so much more experience than Barack Obama
But what troubles me is that it would seem, based on her claims while campaigning, that most of her experience was garnered through her husband. Bill was the Governor of Arkansas.. Bill was the President of the US.
Isn't that the same as saying that ... I don't know .. Lucy would be a good conductor because Ricky was? or that I could install phone systems because my husband does?
God help me, Gloria Steinem may strike me dead.. but I think it seems sexist the way Hillary did her campaign.
Now, I have to qualify this whole thing here by saying that If John McCain ever had my vote, he surely lost it when he brought Pallin on board. That was just a pathetically schmoozy political move attempting to lure we fluffy brained women to his camp( dripping sarcasm here!). Stupid move too ( politically speaking) I mean who the hell were the uber conservatives going to vote for anyway? Not Obama that's for sure. He should have aimed a little more center of the road-ish. Where the moderates live and work. Really John, if you think so poorly of women, that we aren't any smarter than that, then I guess maybe you shouldn't be president.
Sad in a way, because I've always admired McCain very much . If the republicans had run him instead of Bush low these many years ago, think how much better off our country may have been. Maybe not, but I have a suspicion that John McCain would be much less likely to be led around like a child by God knows who was leading Bush around.
Well, having said all that, I'm so hopeful now, so much more optimistic that we have someone coming to power that will lead is out of this horrendous mess that Bush and his failed policies (had to use that term, it almost seems to be a colloquialism now) have brought us to.

Things are looking up indeed.

Oh yeah, I did vote for a winner this time!



footnote here: Clinton has been a US Senator since 2000. THAT does give her more experience.. not her husband's work

1 comment:

Julie said...

From the other side of the world, the choice of Palin just seemed unbelievably bad. Made a laughing stock of the whole system really.

The landlord's girlfriend wasn't happy with the result though, she blamed it on Palin.
I think she thinks Obama can't do it 'cos he's, you know, a bit of a funny colour.
Yep, we have rednecks here too. Sad, isn't it.


Hahahaha, the word verification thingy is "palen" - hahaha.