Autumn makes me happy

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Comfort Food...

Lately I've been seeking out comfort food for nearly every dinner I make.
Maybe it's a winter thing. February sometimes drags on and on for me.
Not my favorite month for sure.
Anyway, I had this beautiful photograph of a meal that I prepared and was going to post the pic and the recipe, but.. somehow, in my distractedness, I deleted the photo from my computer and had not backed it up on disk. Argh!
Anyway, I decided to share the recipe anyway, it's so yummy and so easy.
I actually found it in a box of Reynolds Oven Bags. Normally I just toss those kinds if things, but this one looked good enough to try. I'm glad I did.
Here goes..


Orange Teriyaki Beef Roast


1 Reynolds Oven Bag, large size
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 cloves garlic.minced
! teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 pound beef top round roast (at least one inch thick)
Hot cooked rice
1/4 cup sliced green onions


Shake flour in Reynolds oven bag; place in 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
Add orange juice, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar , garlic, orange peel and crushed red pepper to oven bag. Squeeze bag to blend in the flour.
Add beef to bag. Turn bag to coat beef with sauce.
Close oven bag with nylon tie. Marinate beef in the refrigerator 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 325 F. Cut six 1/2 inch slits in top of bag. Tuck ends of bag in pan.
Bake 35-45 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 145 F ( do not overcook)
Thinly slice beef. Stir sauce; serve with rice. Sprinkle with chopped green onions.
Makes 8 (3oz) servings.


Yum! so easy too.
I used top sirloin instead of Round cuz I like the flavor better and I also sprinkled sesame seeds on it before serving. It's a pretty dish.

Next time I make it, I'm going to increase the orange juice by 1/4 cup maybe and at least twice as much orange zest. I thnk it could use a little more of the pop that the orange flavor brings.

So there ya go, one of my comfort food dishes this month!

No comments: