Autumn makes me happy

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Smells

I haven't written for so very long. I believe I'm beginning to catch up with my life now




I wanted to write this down so that I don't forget.
I love the smell of the Post Office in the evening when I'm the only one there.
It brings back so many memories.
Especially when I lock up the outer lobby.
The faint scent of paper and ink. A stamp-y smell too.
( you may need to be around a lot of stamps to recognize that odor!)
It reminds me of my Dad. When I was a child my father sold paper products.
Letterhead, envelopes and the like.
We had stacks of cartons filled with paper and envelopes and business cards
with Curtis 1000 Inc. stamped in the logo.
There is a distinct aroma to them.
I remember the first time I was on the workroom floor at the GMF for my tour of the plant on the day I interviewed. That was what struck me first. The smell.
I love it.
I also made many trips to the Post Office with my Father. I remember how cavernous the building seemed. Marble floors. Wooden tables with those ucky sponges floating in a bowl of water to wet the stamps with. Tomorrow I will be going to that same office in the morning for a retirement party for my friend.
It will still seem cavernous. The floors are still marble.
It's amazing.
Once in awhile I would go with my Dad to the old processing facility at night because he needed to get some mail out right away . We would drive to the dock and he would give the letters to a clerk. It was always so dark.
Anyway, maybe, if I believed in fate, I would say that I was meant to work at the Post Office.
and for sure , when those smells start drifting around in the evening...
well, I like it.




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rachael said...

maybe sort of like how home always smells like home no matter what? Tell me the secret! I opened the suitcase from Christmas the other day and home smell came out. I put my head in and shut the lid. lol! It didn't last long and I probably looked insane or suicidal shutting myself in my suitcase, but it was worth it!