Autumn makes me happy

Thursday, January 31, 2008

time..time..time..

So, a couple days ago I accomplished something that has been on my to-do list for, oh, say about six months. I cleaned my oven. Actually the dumb thing cleans itself. So for about five hours it produced extremely intense heat; It was like a sunspot in my kitchen, but with temps in the low 20s we actually kind of enjoyed that. The smell was mildly unpleasant, but no worse than the dogs when it's been raining or something. Actually not even that bad.
SO, after the oven completed it's five hour cycle of burning to a crisp nine or so months of drippings and french fry shards and the like, it was my turn! I spent approximately fifteen minutes vacuuming and wiping out the ashes and for good measure I spent another ten minutes vacuuming the drawer beneath the oven. For a total of about twenty five minutes effort. Which brings me to my question: Why do I put something off for sooooo long that really requires very little time and energy? I think I may be lazy. I hate thinking of myself that way, but I don't know what else would drive me to procrastinate so.
My new plan is this: I will" time" all unsavory activities so when I need to talk myself into a task, I will know exactly the commitment that will be required. For instance, did you know it takes me 45 seconds to empty my dish drainer? Even when it's piled really high! I can empty the drainer and still have time to goof off every evening!
I will continue monitering the time requirements of "Crappy Chores" and keep my list updated.

No comments: